The growing things around me



We've just had our holidays - when we can take a break from working life and catch up on other things:  visits, leisure activities and spending a little hard-earned cash.

A visit to my sister’s presented me with two experiences of newness, without having to purchase anything.  Firstly this jumper.


This was hand-knitted by my mum for my brother during his younger ski-ing years.  I can just squeeze into it to give it a new life.  I felt a little foolish about scouring hand-knits in charity shops.  And there are so many treasurable heirlooms like this that I’m saving them up for their own permanent page.

The other new thing that gave me delight was taking a look at my niece’s final school year w.i.p.  She is making a garment about Eve and hand-working all these lovely leaves.





This got me to the art gallery where I bought a new book to feed my growing interests.  Uncannily, this beautiful book by India Flint was cousin to my niece's work, and is strongly defining the direction I'm going towards (watch this space!)

 


Then for the purpose of my visit:  to see the work of graduating secondary school students (Artexpress).  I love this show and seeing the work of the talented next generation.  Amongst my favourites were some fine drawings

Alluring Night Sharmistha Sarkar

and paintings
White Bay Dreaming Leandros Pandoulis

And a great piece referencing Rozsika Parker.  Here are some details of the larger installation


Stitched Up Kate Nyhan
 
I thought of my niece and her work that will be submitted for this year’s exam.  I smiled to myself remembering the time I rang for her 15-year-old advice for my first-time sewing using a commercial pattern.

I am lucky to be a woman of a certain age.  We are part of the generation who grew up in suburbia wearing altered hand-me-downs and homemade school uniforms, eating from earthy ceramics on pure cotton tablecloths.  We remember those days with nostalgia and now this is peaking as we discover the pleasure in making for our own children.  And of course, it is fuelling the hand-made and retro movement.
Frankie magazine

Receiving this legacy is such a rich and wonderful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment