Crochet crochet everywhere, everyday



So here I am, merrily knitting away charity squares for no particular charity.  When I’ve made enough for a parcel they will get sent.  I do maybe 5 rows of an evening, with short bursts of more intense sessions every now and then.  My first 25cm square took me a few months to complete.

My group, Knit 4 Charities, publishes a calendar of monthly charities and the items they require.  When I first joined, I had a quick squiz and loosely picked out one to aim for - one that was far off into the future enough to give me plenty of time to learn how to knit and crochet the items. 

knit-a-square
I routinely check in on the group for news.  I suddenly see the charity I had chosen was due!  I couldn’t believe that 6 months had passed and I had nothing to donate.  I had one week to whip something up.  Could it be done?

Thanks to a friend who had been posting pics of her charity scarves, I thought I’d follow suit.  But I’d never made a scarf before – it was my largest piece of work yet.  I was only making one scarf, but her goal was 15!  I marvelled at her speed and she said she’d be working at every opportunity.



So far I’d crocheted in public sitting in at piano lessons,  and in cafes over a cuppa.  So then I accelerated and started crocheting in places like standing at the bus stop.  Very easy to do with backpack (basket, cloth bag) worn on the front holding the yarn.

Girl Knitting Albert Anker


You’d be amazed how many rows flew by on the bus, waiting at traffic lights.  And the 10 metres before my bus stop when I considered finishing, but pushed on to see how much more would get done.

The best thing about working on the bus was a fellow passenger who started talking to me about crochet.  I’d read about Craftivists using public making as a way of opening dialogue, so this was a delightful thing to experience.

photo: Richard Hamm

Seeing me crochet brought back memories for her – of family traditions, crocheting baby blankets.  How all her children cuddled them whenever they were poorly.  And that they still treasure them as adults.  About her own crochet and what she use to make.  It was lovely to hear her brief stories and I felt warm that I had brought something to her day.

 



1 comment:

  1. I've experienced this knitting on public transport - often it will bring up memories of family members who used to knit.

    Thanks for the link to the Craftivist Collective! I'd heard the word 'craftivist' but didn't realise how much some of the concepts resonated with me. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete